Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and I'd like to wish everyone a wonderful holiday. I'd also like to share the things I have to be thankful for this year.

First of all, I'd like to thank all of my doctors and the staff of North Mountain. My journey started with the doctors at County Hospital who operated on me, saving my life. They put me in a coma for two months as I struggled to save my life. Since then I have been through many doctors and hospital staff and numerous health issues. I've lost track of all the times I have come back from the brink. I've been at North Mountain since 2007 after cycling through several other facilities. This is a wonderful place!! I'm getting excellent care here. My doctors have really been there for me, and I love the staff. They all are inspirations to me, and are full of God's love and light.

Next I'd like to thank my family. My Mom and brothers take such good care of me, and make sure that I lack for nothing. They do all of my laundry each week, and no matter how busy they are they make sure to come see me several times each week - whether I'm at the facility or in the hospital. This isn't any easy task for them, as my mother (who's in her 70s) still works two jobs. They always go out of the way to make me still feel like a vital member of the family. I love Mom and my three brothers very much.

I'd also like to give thanks to all of my family of friends who regularly visit me. They radiate love to me every time I see them. I couldn't have a better circle of friends.

Lastly, I'd like to thank my life partner, Steve. We met way back in college - thirty years ago, and he's had my back ever since. We live apart, which is very hard on both of us - but I'm crazy about him. He flew out from Illinois in September and we had a commitment ceremony. It was beautiful, and I felt totally surrounded with love. We keep in contact as much as we can, which is difficult because of the trach I have now. The trach bypasses my vocal chords, making it impossible for me to speak much of the time. So on those times I'm able to speak the first chance I get I call Steve on my cell phone. Our relationship isn't easy, and I can't tell you how much I love that he's stuck it out with me.

As you can see, I have much to be thankful for. It may seem odd to some that a person with all of my challenges has so much to be grateful for, but I feel very lucky to still be alive. Anything after that is gravy.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I wish all of you the best life has to offer. Enjoy your day, and be sure to check in with me next week.

Love always, Darci

No comments:

Post a Comment